Roulette is an old game, which is still present and even popular in every casino. It is impossible to overlook the dozens of people, who are gathering around the roulette table. This exciting game has survived through the ages to become one of the most preferred casino games, especially in Monte Carlo and Monaco, which are considered to be its centers.
The reason why the game nails the attention of so many people is because of its simple rules. Here, you don’t need to follow the cards or to apply some complicated mathematical strategies. You just need to focus on the game itself and to make the right bet. Of course, luck is the other big contributor to your success in this game.
The Basics of Roulette
The game is available in online, as well as in brick and mortar casinos. No matter where do you prefer to play it, the structure of the game is the same. A wheel is placed on a long table next to the imprinted betting area. The spinning device is an integral part of the game. Even the name of the game means a small wheel. The purpose of every player is to make the right prediction on which number the ball will land on. Of course, you can place your bet on a whole group of numbers, but the winning number should be a part of that group.
The roulette table is supervised by a croupier who is responsible for spinning the ball and handling the bets. Bets are made with chips that are unique to this game. The chips used in the different variants of roulette are also different. The player buys his chips directly from the table. As the game starts, the croupier spins the wheel and sets the ball rolling along the track, above the number slots. Players may place bets until the ball slows down and the croupier calls “no more bets”. As the winning number is announced, the croupier pays the winners and collects all lost bets. The new round starts as soon as all bets are handled.
Types of Wheels
Roulette has a French origin, but over the years it has undergone several changes. Thus, we can outline three main variations of the game, which have some slight differences. But do not be discouraged, since the game is pretty much the same, except some subtle details.
Let’s start with the French variant, since the game is considered to be French. In French roulette, you will see that the table is arranged in a different way. The wheel is placed on one side and the betting section, also known as layout, has two main sections for the two types of bets. What is different is that the French layout for outside bets is split and located along the both sides of the betting area. This allows more people to join the game.
The wheel itself is the same like in European roulette. There are 37 numbered pockets, which contain the numbers from 0 to 36. The pockets are alternating between red and black color, where the zero pocket is in green. At first sight, the numbers on the wheel are arranged in a random way, which is not the case in fact. The numbers on the French and European wheel are following a pattern: next to every high number (19 to 36) is placed a low one (1 to 18), with the exception that 5 is next to 10. The presence of one zero pocket is advantageous to the player, since it provides a house edge only of 2.7% (and in some special cases, which will be mentioned below, the house edge may be even 1.35%).
The American wheel, though, is a bit different, since it consists of two zero-pockets, which increases the house edge to 5.26%. The wheel has 38 pockets, which cover the numbers from 1 to 36, one-zero and double-zero pockets. The order of the digits seems to be a bit more systematic, since two consecutive numbers are placed opposite each other. The table layout is the same as the European one, with the exception of the additional square, that represents the double-zero pocket.
The Most Right Strategy is the Proper Bet
You can influence neither the wheel nor the ball. Thus, the only thing dependent on you is to make the most appropriate bet. What is best is that the player places the bet not necessarily on one particular number. The gambler can play also with a group of numbers, which increases the chance of a win. The two sections of the layout represent the two main type of bets- “inside” and “outside”.
The Inside Bets in Roulette
These types provide the player with the opportunity to place the bet on one digit or a whole group. But point is that the bet is on the digits itself. Depending on the combination of numbers, the bet can be:
- Straight bet – it is placed on one specific number. To make a straight bet you need to set your chips in the middle of the square on the betting layout. The chances are not very high and thus the payout is 35:1.
- Split bet – it is placed on two adjoining numbers on the betting section, no matter if horizontal or vertical. To make a split bet you need to set the chips on the line in-between the numbers. The payout is 17:1.
- Street bet – it is placed on three numbers in a row. You need to place the chips on the intersecting point of the three numbers. The payout is 11:1.
- Corner bet – it is placed on four adjoining numbers. To make a corner bet, you need to set the chips on the intersection part of the four numbers, which visually forms a square. The payout is 8:1.
- Five bet – it is typical American bet, placed on numbers 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3. You need to set the chips on the intersection part of the two rows. These are the only numbers, on which you can place five bet. But this type of bet is referred as the worst in roulette, because here the house edge is the highest of all the other bets. It is highly recommended to avoid the five bet. The payout is 6:1.
- Sixline bet – it is placed on six numbers on two adjacent lines. Visually, it resembles two “neighboring” streets. The payout is 5:1.
The Outside Bets in Roulette
These can be described as the simplest, or just “flip a coin”. You place your chips on “either… or…”. The outside bets are subdivided into:
- Column bet – it is placed on all numbers included in one of the three columns on the betting area. You need to set the chips on the box at the end of the column. The payout is 2:1.
- Group/ dozen bet – it is placed on all numbers included in some of the dozens on the betting section. The payout is 2:1.
- Black/red bet – here you try to predict if the winning number will be in the black or the red section. The payout is 1:1, also known as even money.
- Odd/even bet – similar to the black/ red, but here you try to predict if the lucky number will be even or odd. The payout is even money.
- High/low bet – here you need to predict if the winning number will be from the low (1-18) or high (19-36) section. You need to place the chips on the low or high box. The payout is again even money.
The French Exotic Bets
If you happen to play on a French table, you will notice that all signs and the layout are in French. This should not disturb you, since the game is absolutely the same, but it provides some extra possibilities, which are a real advantage to the player. The first possibility is one additional betting option, which is provided even by some European tables (this is dependent on the rules of the casino in which you play).
The main idea of this additional bet is that the wheel is divided into three sections and you place your bet on one of the three sections. Thus, we can outline the three different options:
- Voisins du Zero Bet- it is placed on 17 numbers of the wheel, which are neighboring the zero pocket from the both sides. In other words, these are the following numbers: 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3, 26, 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2 and 25. The bet costs 9 chips, since it is played with a combination of one corner (2 chips), one trio (2 chips) and 5 split bets (5 chips).
- Tiers du Cylindre Bet – it is placed on 12 numbers, which are opposite the “neighbors of the zero” from the Voisins du Zero Bet set. So, briefly said these are 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, 33. Since it is a split bet, it costs 6 chips.
- Orphelins Bet – this group includes all the numbers, which are not included in the other two main sets. The group involves the following numbers: 1, 6, 9, 14, 17, 20, 31 and 34. It can be played as a combination of split bets and then it will cost you 4 chips, or as straight up bets, which will cost you 8 chips.
You can also place your bet on the so-called Finales en Plein, which is betting on all the numbers, which are ending on a digit of your choice. For example, your lucky number is 6 and you bet on 6, 16, 26 and 36.
The other type is called Finales a Cheval Bet. It is very similar to the Finales en Plein, but here you place your bet on two digits of your choice. For example, you bet on 2 and 6 and all the numbers ending in these digits.
The French Advantageous Rules
In fact, playing on a French table is not a tragedy, because of the following rules, which increase your chance to win. Moreover, namely these are the aforementioned rules, which halve the house edge to 1.35%. Every gambler should take into account that these are valid only with the even-money bet and in case that the ball lands on the zero pocket.
- En Prison rule – your bet stays on the same outside position for the next spin. You can lose your bet only if the ball falls again on the zero pocket.
- La Partage rule – then you give half of your bet to the house and you get back the other half. For the next round, you can bet the way you would like to.
Tips for Being Successful in Roulette
For most of the players, roulette is a game of chance. Many people consider that it does not demand any specific skills to win or lose. Bet on whatever digit you like – your birthday, anniversary or a special number, but the chances are equal. That is true to a great extent, but having a plan is always good. You may be surprised to know that even the position of the croupier and the angle counts.
The betting system is what really matters
Over the years, people have tried to apply various methods, but in some cases “it all went wrong” as people say. Some of the systems led the players to significant financial damages and these are known as negative progression system. With these, you can lose a large amount of money very fast, because every time you lose, you stake more money. Of course, the negative progression can bring you a fortune, but you rely on the luck, which may lead to serious damage to your finances. Nobody can predict when a losing streak will come to an end. Every spin provides equal chances for every number and color.
That is why it is preferable to use positive progression system. The main idea behind it is to increase the stake the more you win, and decrease it when you lose. It makes sense, since in a long session of losses your bankroll will not be harmed that much as in the negative progression. It is worth to note that certain systems do not intend to increase your chance to beat the wheel, but to protect your bank account.
Of course, no matter what kind of system you use, you need to play with money, which you can afford to lose. Do not be misled by the idea that by applying certain strategy you can increase your chances to win. The only thing you can do is to protect yourself from bankruptcy. The biggest mistake of all gamblers is the dream that they can bet small amounts and look for a great return. Shake off this idea and start to manage your money in the right way! That is the way to win, even when you lose!